Kansas Youth Chorus

News from KYC while on tour.

Tuesday, Day 5

with 3 comments

(Written by Jared and Patricia)

I’m Zeke. I am a furry, gray animal, and the long-beloved mascot of the illustrious Kansas Youth Chorus. I will be reporting on the events of Monday evening and Tuesday.  We arrived in the booming metropolis of Goshen, Indiana around 5:30 pm, at the Woodlawn Amish Mennonite Church. The chorus was running a little behind, because of an extended rest stop stay, so everybody was in a bit of a rush. Some hurriedly dressed, while others quickly ate haystacks. The call time was a theoretical 6:00, but it was met with various degrees of success. I don’t believe number 31 made it. Of course, I can’t report on all these events with complete accuracy, because I was merely perched on the front bench of the sanctuary this whole time.

After the traditional warm-ups, they rehearsed several trouble spots in their repertoire. They were in the midst of this stage of life, when Shane strolled up the aisle, and put a gentle hand on John’s shoulder. After a short interlude of whispering and explanation, it was announced to the choir that the evening’s program would begin at 7:00, rather than the anticipated 7:30. The choir was surprised, and possibly a bit disturbed. This would definitely tighten the evening schedule.

As for “me myself personally,” I didn’t mind a bit. The evenings on the front bench while the choir participates in prep time, bathroom activities, water-drinking, and lining up, can get quite long. I was glad for the schedule change. Still, I tried to empathize with the choir. They soon left to notify family and friends of the news, and begin their prep time.

I sat there, anticipating the beginning of the program, as the locals steadily filed into the sanctuary and took their seats. Linford Bontrager started the evening off with a stellar introduction that set the tone for the evening quite nicely. He turned out to be one of the more actively involved audience participants of the evening, which was neat.

The choir strode in confidently and took their places around the sanctuary for the opening song, “Hosanna to the Son of David.” I like that song. It’s kinda huge, and it sounds nice-ish when you’re in the middle of the sanctuary. The rest of the concert proceeded swimmingly, and I just sat on the front bench and encouraged the choir with my shining smile, (of course, holding very still the entire time, so as not to be overly distracting).

Many choir members considered this to be one of their better efforts thus far. I don’t know. I’ve heard a lot of choir programs, and they all seem to kinda run together after a while. I like them all. This program was nice, since many of the choir members had acquaintances in the audience. After the program, some choir members went and played volleyball with the local youth, while others went to their hosts’ places. I myself went with a choir member, and spent the night in a house, rather than the bus. I thought that was neat.

Tuesday’s call time of 7:00 came at, well, 7:00. Which is early. Since we were headed to Ontario, there was a significant amount of bus time to look forward to. The early part of the day was largely spent in slumber/relaxation. Eventually, the atmosphere became more festive as people woke up. Lively conversations, snacks, counseling by some zealous young women, 10% discounts at Wendy’s, and spit wads by Danny were some highlights of the day.

The border crossing occurred without a hitch, for which we are truly grateful. (I forgot my passport, but nobody seemed to mind, kinda nice being so important).  I spent the majority of the afternoon being pampered, styled, and outfitted by some industrious young seamstresses. (see pictures) We arrived at our destination in Floradale, Ontario, around 4:00, in plenty of time for our program at Crystal View Mennonite Church. I’m greatly looking forward to another evening of listening to my favorite choir sing. They’re pretty cool, and they treat me right.


I apologize for getting this posted over a day late. Internet access was non-existant last night and today. We had a great day in Toronto, but we are all now very, very tired. Goodnight. — Aaron


Written by Aaron

July 14, 2011 at 3:55 am

Posted in Uncategorized

3 Responses

Subscribe to comments with RSS.

  1. Hey, it’s nice to know that Zeke is being treated right this year…:) Way to go, guys!
    Blessings to you all as you continue tour! May you bless many people and bring much glory to God! We’re praying for you, and we’ll be quite happy to have you back too!:)


    July 14, 2011 at 3:05 pm

  2. Exactly just what type of animal are you?
    btw, Mr. Zeke tell Jewel and Hannah “Hi”


    July 14, 2011 at 9:40 pm

  3. Oh, I forgot Euni. Hi to her too.


    July 14, 2011 at 9:42 pm

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: