Kansas Youth Chorus

News from KYC while on tour.

Day 7

leave a comment »

Friday, August 9, 2013 – Kenneth, Lillian, and Louise

The day dawned bright and early, although most of us were still in blissful repose since call time wasn’t until 9:00. It rained most of the night and was still raining lightly in the morning, which made packing of luggage a great joy.

Our first activity of the day was to entertain the residents at Hillcrest Home, beginning at 9:30. We blessed them with the skit from our program, juggling by Tim and Jon, and some impromptu singing, while Stephen made balloon creations for the residents. One of the resident women clearly remembered going to school with the man who made the balloons, although she was pretty sure it wasn’t in Kansas. A good time was had by all who enjoyed it.

Stephen’s balloon-making didn’t stop when he got on the bus. He first made a fantastic hat for Willard, then created a beautiful red rose of apology for “Thing 1” to give to “Thing 2.”

We stopped at Lambert’s Café for lunch and were informed that we would have an hour and ten minute wait. Thus we proceeded to do some window shopping and cheese tasting at local shops while we waited. Interestingly, they were ready for us in about 45 minutes and we were called from all the four corners to quickly take our places. The food was excellent, including the big white rolls that were thrown to us from across the room. The décor largely consisted of old license plates, including an old one from Kansas that said “UKNOWIT,” which we felt was fitting.

We arrived in Parsons at 4:30 for a 6:30 program.  It was a meaningful program for many in the choir, and it seemed to resonate with the audience as well. It was a pleasure singing at our “home church away from home,” as John so aptly put it. They served us a wonderful supper of haystacks with a wonderful selection of desserts after the program. Unfortunately, we could not spend the night with the dear people there, and we couldn’t even socialize long because our bus driver was running out of legal driving time.

There was some talk of hijacking the bus and simply making the tour longer because we suddenly realized that the bus tour is pretty much over. So we are doing our best to enjoy each other during the last few hours on the bus.


Written by calebeyoder

August 11, 2013 at 2:25 pm

Posted in Uncategorized

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: